Vivian Cannon

Obituary of Vivian E. Cannon

Please share a memory of Vivian to include in a keepsake book for family and friends.
My Wonderful Wife And My Last Story Together We went down to Cannon Beach on our sixtieth wedding anniversary with our trailer. We stopped at camp 18 and had breakfast as usual. Our family had a limousine pick us up from the campsite and take us to dinner at a restaurant on the beach. It was a wonderful time. We both realized that we were getting to the end of years of camping. We had a great time together, even though it was not a favorite campground. As it turned out, this was our last camping trip together. Shortly after the trip, Vivian went on dialysis we did at home. Unfortunately, the dialysis was not working as her doctor wanted so after a year, we changed to Hemodialysis. This required going into a clinic three times a week for about four hours. At this time, Humana, her insurance company, connected us with Landmark. We were assigned Dr. Lowe to be her doctor. He came to the house about every month. We soon grew to really appreciate this service. Of all Vivian's doctors, she loved Dr. Lowe the most. We did make one more day trip to the beach to go to all the traditional places. It was her favorite place to go. We had breakfast at camp 18. Then drove down to Cannon Beach and to Moes. After that, we went shopping at the mall in Seaside and went for lunch at Norma's. Finally, we drove up the coast to Astoria and came home through Longview. Our last trip together. As time went along, Vivian's strength was progressively getting worse. We used to walk to the mailboxes for the mail, which is about a quarter-mile. Then we walked to the end of our property. Then it was to the end of our driveway. Then it was back to our bedroom. For several weeks in the end, I took her in the wheelchair. When we went to the Infusion Clinic to see her oncologist, he would come over to the Infusion Clinic to see her. The last few years, she had been getting blood transfusions often. Our family and I realized her time was short. However, her last dialysis treatment on Tuesday went fine and we were able to go to Elmers for dinner afterward. We got up as usual on her next dialysis day, but she was really weak. She told me that she could not get up to get in the wheelchair. So I called the clinic and told them she would not be in. I called Dr. Lowe and we decided that it was time to call in Hospice. Becky and Michele and their families came over and we met with the Hospice nurse. We decided to bring in a hospital bed. That evening Dr. Lowe came over to visit her after dinner with his family. No wonder Vivian liked him so much. Vivian was sleeping the whole time he was here. He told us that Vivian may have a good day before passing. Her audio would be the last faculty to go and some people wait until it is quiet before they let go. He was right. The next day Vivian was awake and able to talk with some of our family that didn't live in the area. We set up a video chat and they were able to see each other and say goodbye. She talked with our son in Minnesota on the phone and they shared I love you. Unfortunately, she was not able to communicate with us the following day. That afternoon we played videos I had made on YouTube of happier times and played music videos of our favorite gospel group. Our son in Spokane read bible verses over a video chat. We all gathered around and our son-in-law, Larry, led us in prayer. What a precious time. We could tell the time was short. She was struggling to breathe. Finally, about seven o'clock, the house was quiet when the girls called me over and she had slipped the bonds of earth. It was a sad-happy time. No more dialysis, no more transfusion, no more kidney stones and no more passing out that had been a problem her whole life. I can't begin to tell you how much our family helped me during this time. Michele and Becky spent the nights here so I could get some sleep. Their families were here taking care of my every need. In addition, our son, Donald from Minnesota, spent nearly a week with us. Our son and his family living in Spokane came at Thanksgiving time. We have a great family. Vivian tried her best to make it after Thanksgiving. Then it was to make it until Michael and his family came home from their vacation in Costa Rica. Christmas would have been the next goal. But, again, she did the best she could. I could not be more proud of how she went through this time. Her main concern was not herself; it was for me. She made Becky and Michele promise to watch out for me. I haven't decided if that is a blessing or a curse at this point. I am doing ok considering. But, for a split second, I find myself thinking I should tell Vivian about something that has happened. I have decided that Vivian messed the bed up at night all these years. When I get up, all I have to do is pull my covers up and it is done. We had a routine of getting up in the morning. I would reach over and touch her and ask, "Are you in there?" She would reply back, "Almost." I would like to hear that again. After Michael and his family arrived home from Costa Rica, we had a viewing. Members of our family were there and friends from our neighborhood. Unfortunately, Vivian wasn't my only loss this year. Two of our dogs died as well. We had them cremated and placed in an urn. The company that provided this service was Pet After Life Services NW. Brian Yockey and his wife are the owners and this picture is on a plaque that he made in Vivian's honor. Brian, thank you so much. We all love it. We had dinner at Olive Garden after the viewing and I took her picture with me so she could be with us. Our daughter, Michele, is in the picture with us. My family has been very helpful since Vivian's passing. Our son Donald came from Minnesota and spent several days with us. The other members have come over or called if they do not live in the area. Thanks to everyone, I am doing pretty well. I go down for breakfast every morning and meet with our friends. Vivian would like to keep that tradition going, I'm sure. I am looking at what good can has come out of this and right off I thought, I can drive any car I want. Vivian had trouble getting in and out of some of our cars in the last few years. There are a few other items, but they won't replace my wonderful wife of so many years. I would like to thank everyone that has sent cards, flowers and made phone calls. They have all helped me at this time in my life. Paul
To plant a beautiful memorial tree in memory of Vivian Cannon, please visit our Tree Store
A Memorial Tree was planted for Vivian
We are deeply sorry for your loss ~ the staff at Straub's Funeral Home
Online Memory & Photo Sharing Event
Online Event
About this Event
Vivian Cannon

In Loving Memory

Vivian Cannon

1940 - 2021

Look inside to read what others have shared
Family and friends are coming together online to create a special keepsake. Every memory left on the online obituary will be automatically included in this book.
Services for Vivian Cannon
There are no events scheduled. You can still show your support by planting a tree in memory of Vivian Cannon.
Plant a tree in memory of Vivian
Share Your Memory of